Changing Your Name After Divorce in Minnesota
February 5, 2010
By Jennifer Moore, Family Law Attorney
As part of your divorce, you may have decided to change your name. If so, there are several steps you should take after your divorce becomes final. Your first step should be to obtain a certified copy of your Judgment and Decree from the Court Administrator. Then, you will want to do the following:
- Notify the Social Security Administration.
- Obtain a new driver’s license or state identification card.
- Change your name on all bank and investment accounts and your safe deposit boxes.
- Change your name on all credit cards.
- Notify all of your creditors.
- Notify your utility companies.
- Change your passport.
- File a change of address with the post office.
- Change your car titles and registration.
- Notify insurance companies.
- Notify your employer and any retirement or pension accounts.
- Notify friends, relatives and co-workers.
- Change your email address if it contains your married name.
- Notify places where you have memberships and subscriptions, such as the public library, health club, or Netflix.